Last night I had one of those nights where my mind worried. Using my techniques, I didn’t pay much attention. But I used to get gripped by the madness. Laying there not able to do anything about any concern because it’s midnight, I’m in my PJ’s and I’m trying to go to sleep for God’s sake!. Those were some bad nights.
The trick to getting some distance from the insanity of The Drunk Monkey happens to be my main philosophy: “Total and complete acceptance of all people in all situations at all times, including myself.”
So, last night I was practicing total acceptance and I didn’t get wrapped up in the drama. But I did begin to notice the source. And that’s what this post is about. Those conditions that make my mind (and probably yours too) worried.
5 Conditions That Were Present Prior To The Night of Worry
1. Not enough sleep. I’ve been burning the midnight oil for about two weeks straight completing some projects.
2. Too much work! I have agreed to do some new projects for my father’s company which was basically a choice to work more.
3. Minimal fitness training. Because the above dominoes fell, I choose to work out less. If I work out four days a week, I feel great. If I work out less, I feel less then great.
4. Eating poorly. I notice that when I’m tired and exhausted, I’m drawn to sugar, carbs, fat and caffeine. An energetically lethal combo when overdone (for my body/mind/spirit).
5. And finally to top it all off… Labor Day party-filled weekend. If my equilibrium wasn’t trashed already, then two straight days of beach, eating bad and minimal sleep tipped me right over the edge.
The Results: My mind goes crazy with worry, doubt, fear about the future and tries to keep me awake. Thank God I have the tools to ignore it or this would be a very hard week.
By the way, I’m doing a FREE training call Wednesday called…
Control Your Thoughts, Control Your Life
If you want to learn some of my tricks to keeping The Drunk Monkey under control, then check it out here.